Anyhow back to the canning party...unfortunately, I fell ill the day of the event and had to skip. Left with several pounds of green beans and no canning supplies, I decided to pickle the beans "refrigerator style" using this great dilly bean recipe I found on a blog called Hell Yeah, It's Vegan (don't you just love that name?). To be safe, I sterilized the jars in the oven and boiled the rings and caps. I also quintupled the recipe to make 5 jars worth.
Spicy Pickled Green Beans
Makes 1 serving
1 clove garlic
1-2 chilis or 1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 lb fresh green beans, rinsed and trimmed
1 c white vinegar
2 tbsp kosher salt
- In a clean, odorless glass jar with a well-fitting lid, add garlic, dill, red pepper, and peppercorns to taste.
- Pack jar with green beans, fairly tightly, until full. In a medium saucepan, heat water, vinegar, and salt, stirring occasionally, until salt has fully dissolved.
- Slowly pour a small amount into the jar and shake it gently; the glass must be heated slowly so it doesn’t crack.
- Slowly add the rest of the liquid, leaving about ½” head space at the top of the jar.
- Let cool for an hour or two before placing the jar in the fridge.