Football...it's the one sport I just don't get. I love watching basketball. I can get into a hockey game. I can tolerate baseball, but football...not on your life. Mr.S. and the kidlets are all hyped up about the season starting (in fact they're in the other room hootin' and hollerin' right now as I type). And as if the torture of watching back to back games on Sundays and Mondays isn't enough, there's Mr.S.'s participation in fantasy football leagues to contend with. Good lord...well I guess boys will be boys (insert eye roll here). Anyhow, the boys were willing to set the game aside for a few moments to enjoy dinner tonight. I went with a pork tenderloin, teeny-tiny roasted potatoes and a new Brussels sprouts recipe. A little of this, a little of that and we ended up with one damn fine side dish. Even Kidlet #2 who loathes veggies, ate a huge serving of the Brussels sprouts. Touchdown! What was even better was that I was able to pick up everything at Trader Joe's so it was inexpensive and easy to put together. If you're a Brussels sprout hater, this recipe is sure to convert you!
Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Crispy Pancetta
1 (10 oz.) bag of Trader Joe's shaved Brussels sprouts
4 oz. diced pancetta
1.5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
5 tablespoons chopped onions/garlic/shallots mix (TJ's sell this already made or you can make your own)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1-2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
salt and fresh ground pepper
1. Pour olive oil into a large pan over high heat.
2. Add pancetta and cook for about 5 minutes, until the pancetta is nice and crisp.
3. Add onion/garlic/shallots mix to the pan. Reduce heat to medium-high. Saute for about 2-3 minutes.
4. Add in shaved Brussels sprouts. Stir often. Cook for about 5 minutes. (The sprouts will turn a bright green.)
5. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
6. Add Parmesan cheese, give it a few good stirs. Serve immediately.