Banana Bread (from The Joy of Cooking)
(all at room temp)
1 1/3 cups AP flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
5 1/3 tbs unsalted butter
2/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup mashed bananas (about 2)
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan.
- Whisk together throughly: flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, beat on high speed until lightened in color and texture, 2 to 3 minutes: butter and sugar.
- Beat in the flour mixture unril blended and the consistency of brown sugar. Gradually beat in eggs.
- Fold in just until combined: bananas and nuts.
- Scrape the batter into the pan and spread evenly.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan on a rack for 5 to 10 minutes before unmolding to cool completely on the rack.
* I substituted a 9x9 pan and reduced my baking time to 40 minutes.