So last Thursday was book club night. I needed to bring a dish that was gluten-free, meat-free and lactose-free (I'm the lactarded one). What could I bring? What could I bring? I pondered over the choices repeatedly until I settled on Japanese potato salad. I've eaten it a million times but had never made it before. The Japanese version of potato salad is a wee bit sweeter and much lighter in flavor, plus the veggies give it some crunch. I ended up tweaking a recipe I found on Little Creations of Yumiko and it turned out well. Next time though, I think I'll go with steaming the potatoes instead of boiling them.
Japanese Potato Salad
3 medium sized Russet potatoes
1/2 Japanese of English cucumber
1/2 large carrot
3/4 cup Kewpie (Japanese mayo, you can find this at your local Asian market)
2 teaspoons sugar
Salt & pepper
1. Wash vegetables & scrub potatoes well.
2. Peel potatoes and cut them into pieces that are little larger than bite size.
3. Boil potatoes for 15-20 minutes with 1/2 t of salt, until tender. (The original recipe said 10-15 minutes but I found that 10-15 left them a bit undercooked).
4. Drain potatoes and mash them. Lightly season the potatoes and let them cool down.
5. Slice the cucumber in half lengthwise, de-seed if necessary. Then slice thinly.
6. Slice the carrot in half lengthwise, then slice thinly. Then place in boiling water (fresh pot) to cook for a minute or two until medium soft. Drain water.
7. In a large bowl mix the potatoes, carrots, cucumbers, Kewpie and sugar. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If you'd like the potato salad creamier, add another 1/4 cup of Kewpie.
8. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.